Sunday, August 10, 2008

bbbzzzzzzzzztttttt, smack!


The weather has been nice this weekend, cooler than normal and so inviting. Tonight I decided to take my book, drink and can of OFF to the swing and enjoy the late afternoon. I couldn't find my newly purchased can of fresh smelling, dry spray OFF so I grabbed one of the old mystery cans purchased last year. I got comfy in my swing, the one my Granddaddy made me, kicked off my shoes, balanced my drink on the arm and started reading. All was well for about 3 minutes and then... they found me. At first all I heard was bbbzzzzzzzzt. I waved it away thinking, 'it wont bother me, its just testing to see if I have on bug spray.' Then another bbbbzzzzt, bbzbbzzzzzttt, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz BITE. I smacked it, but not before it injected my ankle with whatever it injects to make you scratch a patch of your skin off. OK, so I missed a spot and changed positions in the swing. bbbbzzzzz, smack, bbbzzz, smack, smack, damn.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, the mosquito is the South's Bird of the Month for the months of May, June, July, August and September. These little vampires were sucking me dry. So I gave up and came inside but not before receiving 5 or 6 bites on the backs of both legs, my ankles are toast, one even got up the back of my shirt, of course biting right where I cant reach, between my fingers and one on my ear. How much blood could it possible get from my ear?

After this experiment in pain and itchiness, I need to reevaluate my mosquito repelant. Apparently it has the be very stinky, very sticky, wet, toxic and possibly numbing to work. If it doesn't have a warning on the label, I'm putting it back. If the can says fresh or low odor, not getting it. I have citronella candles, supposed mosquito repelant plants and herbs none of these work. Maybe a large ring of fire would keep them at bay. These little blood suckers will not win, they won tonight because I lost to much blood and couldn't think clearly anymore. So tonight I will sit here and plan their demise and scratch and scratch and scratch and scratch......

No comments: